Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Mystery Revealed

Over dinner, Dad was asking, what first inspired me to become wealthy? Is it the cares of this world, status, sense of security, etc. Then it got me thinking-Why was i worrying about the yo-yo stock market while everyone else was heading town for the latest fashion and coolest deals? Why am i trying so hard to complete books i never thought i'd touch? I want to become wealthy because i saw the immense financial freedom and security Mum lacked when her marriage were on the rocks, right up to divorce, and even after she rejoined the workforce. I read somewhere that an average Sg.ean wouldnt be able to survive >12 months without a monthly wage, and i suppose Mum falls straight into that category-no questions asked. I remember envying a secondary school friend of mine for she had everything she wanted. Or at least, that was how i perceived her to be. While students my age headed to the game arcade during the school vacation, I started working at 14, going to specific addresses conducting 15 min long surveys, outdoor sales and much more shit society throwed at me while doing part time jobs. I dont deny myself fun, late nights, countdowns and mischief, but the monetary issue involved came from another source. Looking back, i thought it as a great privilege. If mum and dad had given me anything and everything when i was a teenager, it would had killed my hunger and motivation to reach for what i really want. I must say that these money-pinchers taught me that nobody owed me a living. Yet, i dont want to struggle financially all my life despite working very hard. Why hasnt school taught me about money, how to make and manage money? I think money is the most important subject as we grow up, not the application of TOA CAH SOH principals. Then i sat myself down and asked, how to? Coincidentally, a friend lent me a book and it changed my mindset but i bounced back to a sluggish life soon after. Only then, i realised how stubborn the human mind is. I reckon we need to be constantly fed with mind challenging thoughts before we set heart to make change and influence our destiny. I want to invest time and effort in my financial education because I heard stories of how Dad lost an entire private property to the stock market. With it were all of Mum's savings and it brought much hurt, fear and resentment, right up till today. Its scary yet understandable why people commit suicide when the market is down. All my savings are in dire economic forecast, and i missed the tradegy just by a week. I suppose what sparked this post were the recent turmoils at home. Mum has been a biased parent since Kor ORDed from the army. On days he's home, she'll leave me alone to be with him. On days he's not, i'll get it good, left right up down centre. The thought of shifting out has been plaguing me. Yet i'm not financially secure with my measly pay packet and i love my sister too much to be away from home. That girl..

I thought this entry revealed too much about my personal life. But i've decided to post it up again. I want to remember how i feel this very moment. :)

4 comments:

pearline L. said...

money - four legged creature.
us - two legged.

i suppose the perfect security doesn't lie in the abscence of danger or money but in the abiding presence of the Creator who created the four legged and the two legged-s.

personal opinion. (:

Anonymous said...

very real.

money is Almighty. money is GOD to me.
without money i cannot have what i want.

very simple logic, very real.

one day you wouldnt be who you are if u keep yr investment mindset going! =)

kel

Anonymous said...

oops. i sound very anti-pearline. aahhahaha im money faced

kel

Jovelle Ruth said...

Hi babes!
Kel, thanks for coming down! :) Much love.
Yes. Lets get rich together. Yet stay humble and put our money to good use! 10 years down, we'll read this and u shall give me a treat. Thanks.

Pearline, you are right. :) Its a whole new experience with the creator.