Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Watch Life Go By



A stranger accompanied me for lunch at the food market. Wrinkled and partially edentulous, he gave me his widest smile. And reached for my palm, as if wanting to read my fortune. But there wasnt any. To some, it must have felt like a "molested" touch from a regular at YangTze cinema. But i guess everyone needs some form of physical human touch, be it from a family member, friend, spouse or fling(s). I was totally cool with everything until i saw a man in his 50s digging his nose and then trying to remove food remnants from in between his teeth. Soon after, i pulled away.

I sat there sipping my teh-peng, and watched life go by. And i think thats rejuvenating.

I overheard a conversation bout office politics. And i thought, "still talk bout work at lunch time?!" I think thats silly. I see no point in discussing what you cant prevent. Take things as they come along. There's just so much one can do, and one cant afford to please everyone. Do whatever one thinks is right and appropriate in that situation. Anyone can say anything as they please. But not everyone can say they did the right thing with an eased conscience.

Then i initiated a conversation with an Aunty who joined me at the table. She came all the way from some faraway place for a dumpling(glutinous rice) with yellow bean filling. She dipped a bite sized piece with sweet sauce, chilli, sweet sauce, chilli, sweet sauce, chilli (exactly 3 times), looked at it before popping it into her mouth. Why not mixed both sauces together. Or just do it once. Things people do.

My 'behh behh' (baby), Ah Heng, the drinks seller i frequent for his super nice kopi and teh, had bouts of uber super busy moments. Then i recalled. Isnt life like this at times? We have busy periods with everything flooding in, seemingly crushing us, but once its over, we take a breather and "phew", now it's over, then in comes another wave of helter skelter, each time thinking we cant cope. But actually, the end is near.

I like a busy life. Because in the midst, i want to make a difference in the life of another.

I dont know where im going in this post, but i guess the gist is bout taking some time out and watch life go by.

If you recall bout the very funny guy, he said something like the following to Serene after she said something nasty.
"You better pray your life is just like your name, so serene. Dont think your ninja(Ninja's her boyfriend) can protect you much longer."

Solitude.

No comments: